Before I get started, how many of you guys familiar with ‘texting’ on your mobile phone? How many characters in a text message? 160? yay…!!! Unlike Text messages, Twitter can only support 140 characters and sometime it’s not easy at all to come out something that our followers want.
After years of research in microblogging/social network tools, I found two important strategies which can be used to promote our ‘web presence’ in a complete and efficient way:
- to provide value to our followers
- try to engage people
You must know what your followers want
This could be a tricky… Literally, I can’t assume that your followers would like to read what my followers are reading but in general most people on Twitter interested to :
- receive something worth retweeting to their own followers
- receive something worth replying to and having conversation
- receive cool stuffs or links to distract them from their mundane work
- get closer to others they like
Additional tips and tricks
- Engage your followers directly by asking questions, throw a statment out there or do something to trigger a conversation.
- Try to reply to someone tweets and you will almost certain he/she will reply back to you.
- Consider tweeting a great quote or an opinionated statement
- Occasionally, try to send direct messages to say ‘Hello’ or thank someone who retweeted your tweets. In general, Direct messages bring you closer to your followers.
- If you like someone tweets, please share with your followers by helping others to retweet. The more you help others, the more they will help you too.
- Let the world know if you are attending an event…and share the link!
- Try to embed multimedia stuffs to your tweets. Generally, people love to view pictures, short audio or video clips.
- Join a relevant #chat and participate